- “Shaking Legitimacy: The Impact of Earthquakes on Conflict in Historical China.” Conditionally Accepted at Economic Journal. pdf
- “A Reversal of Trade Fortune: Opium, Silver, and the Decline of Late Imperial China, 1789-1910” (with James Kung). pdf
- Bai, Ying, Ruixue Jia and Jiaojiao Yang. “Web of Power: How Elite Networks Shaped War and Politics in China.” pdf
Quarterly Journal of Economics, accepted.
- Bai, Ying and Ruixue Jia. “The Economic Consequences of Political Hierarchy: Evidence from Regime Changes in China, AD1000-2000.” pdf
Review of Economics and Statistics, accepted.
- Bai, Ying and James Kung. “Surname Distance and Technology Diffusion: The Case of the Adoption of Maize in Late Imperial China.” pdf
Journal of Economic Growth, accepted.
- Bai, Ying. 2022. “The Struggle for Existence: Migration, Competition, and Human Capital Accumulation in Historic China.” pdf
International Economic Review, vol. 63(3): 1239-1269.
- Bai, Ying. 2019. “Farewell to Confucianism: The Modernizing Effect of Dismantling China’s Imperial Examination System.” pdf
Journal of Development Economics, vol. 141: 102382.
- Bai, Ying and Titi Zhou. 2019. “‘Mao’s Last Revolution’: A Dictator’s Loyalty-Competence Tradeoff.” pdf
Public Choice, vol. 180(3-4): 469-500.
- Bai, Ying and Ruixue Jia. 2016. “Elite Recruitment and Political Stability: The Impact of the Abolition of China’s Civil Service Exam System.” pdf
Econometrica, vol. 84(2): 677-733.
- Bai, Ying and James Kung. 2015. “Diffusing Knowledge while Spreading God’s Message: Protestantism and Economic Prosperity in China, 1840-1920.” pdf
Journal of the European Economic Association, vol. 13(4): 669–698.
- Bai, Ying and James Kung. 2014. “The Shaping of an Institutional Choice: Weather Shocks, the Great Leap Famine, and Agricultural Decollectivization in China.” pdf
Exploration in Economic History, vol. 54 (lead article): 1-26.
- Bai, Ying, James Kung and Yang Zhao. 2013. “How Much Expropriation Hazard is Too Much? Land Reallocation and Fertilizer Usage in Rural China.” pdf
Land Economics, vol. 90(3): 434-457.
- Bai, Ying and James Kung. 2011. “Climate Shocks and Sino-nomadic Conflict.” pdf
Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 93(3): 970-981.
- Bai, Ying and James Kung. 2011. “Genetic Distance and Income Difference: Evidence from Changes in China’s Cross-Strait Relations.” pdf
Economics Letters, vol. 110(3): 255-258.
- Kung, James and Ying Bai. 2011. “Induced Institutional Change or Transaction Costs? The Economic Logic of Land Reallocations in Chinese Agriculture.” pdf
Journal of Development Studies, vol. 47(10): 1510-1528.
- Shen, Yan, Minggao Shen, Zhong Xu and Ying Bai. 2009. “Bank Size and Small- and Medium-sized Enterprise (SME) Lending: Evidence from China.” pdf
World Development, vol. 37(4): 800-811.
- Development Economics (undergraduate)
- Development Economics (graduate)